You can click or tap on a category from the boxes above which will show you the sub-headings in each. Pick the area/specialism you need and then select the relevant article.
Click in the Search box above and type keywords on your topic. Make sure to hit ‘Enter’ or click ‘Go’ to see the full search results. The pop up results only check article titles and may miss something important.
We value your input and feedback and are happy to consider corrections for anything you think we’ve got wrong and additions of any material you think would be worthwhile. We also welcome feedback on the handbook in general, it’s look and it’s ease of use. The email address for any of the above is – [email protected]
Many colleagues have contributed to the revisions and updates in this handbook and without their help, publication in its present form would not have been possible.
One of our latest developments is with Right Decisions, the new NHS Scotland platform for Clinical Decision Support. You can now view our local Primary Care Referral Guidelines on the new system by clicking the Primary Care button above.
Chris Isles, Calum Murray
- The Knowledge Network – NHS Scotland’s Information Gateway
- Toxbase (Registration Required)
- Dumfries & Galloway Joint Formulary
- Dumfries Orthopaedic Foundation Doctors Guide [pdf]
- Glasgow Therapeutics Handbook
- Scottish Palliative Care Guidelines
- NHS Inform
- Dynamed – Login with Knowledge Network ID
- NHS Lothian Oncology Online Quality System (OOQS)
- Assessment & Management of Acute Pain in Adults
- Royal Marsden Manual (Nursing Procedures)
NHSD&G Network Only
- Scottish Antimicrobial Prescribing Group Gentamicin Calculator
- Scottish Antimicrobial Prescribing Group Vancomycin Calculator
- NHSD&G Antibiotic Guidelines Poster – Adults in Secondary Care
- NHSD&G Antibiotic Guidelines Poster – Adults in Primary Care
- NHSD&G Antibiotic Guidelines (Full) – Adults in Secondary Care
- NHSD&G Antimicrobials Guidance (Full) – Adults in Primary Care
- Clinical Guideline for Surgical and Procedural Antibiotic Prophylaxis in Adults
“The Handbook” is intended as a reference source for education about current, safe and effective clinical practice in NHS Dumfries & Galloway for staff working for this organisation. The information provides a starting point for the immediate management of many common medical conditions and situations and may not be comprehensive.
It is recognised that the guidance within the Handbook will not be suitable for every situation and is not intended to be a substitute for specialist expertise and clinical judgement. Some of the procedures described may be subject to local variation and will differ from those in other Health Board areas.
The information contained within this site is not intended for use by patients. If you are in need of medical treatment or information, or need this for someone else, please visit NHS 24 at https://www.nhs24.scot/ where you will find listings of sources of appropriate information and support.